Friday 21 September 2012

Birthday in Saigon

Today is my birthday and I've been having an enjoyable day. Jessica had gone when I woke up so I had breakfast by myself, opening the two birthday cards I had been given before I left. I am expecting some more in the post, but so far have not received anything. Every morning I ask Thuy if there's been any post and she says 'No, sorry', looking at me pitifully. I thought this was because all my cards and letters were in the process of rigorous checks for anti-communist propaganda by the authorities, but as it turns out, my friends and parents have since admitted that they may not have sent their cards in good time...

After breakfast I went for a swim at the local public baths. Jessica had showed me the route there on bike before, but I was pleased with myself for remembering the way on my own. The first time it had been dark, and my concentration was mostly focused on not getting killed by a motorbike, rather than the route we were taking. I enjoyed the leisurely cycle ride, even though I had to wear the sweaty plastic yellow rain mac as it had just started drizzling. Luckily for me, this meant that it was cool out, and that when I reached the pool, I had the whole place to myself.

A moody sky over my personal swimming pool

I cycled home in time for lunch, which I ate while talking to my family on Skype, who were eating their breakfast before going out to work or college. I sat patiently as they sung Happy Birthday to me. Next, I had my birthday treat, courtesy of Jessica. She had given me vouchers for a body massage and facial at her spa, a lovely gift. I will save the facial for another day, and today had the body massage, which was blissful. So much so that I briefly fell asleep and jolted myself awake with the sound of snoring. Well, what do you expect when you are very relaxed, lying on your back with your eyes covered in a dark room in the mid-afternoon? So I wasn't too embarrassed.

Later I am going to meet Jessica in the city, where she is taking me out for dinner. Then we'll be meeting some friends for drinks down-town. My mum rudely suggested today that I'm not getting any work done here! But of course, it is a bit sad being away from the people I care about on my birthday, so I will gladly accept Jessica's spoiling today.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Amy
    Happy Birthday for yesterday! Hope you had a good day. Enjoying reading your blog. Love and best wishes Janie, Mike, Rosa, Christina and Archie x

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment or ask me a question