Friday 28 September 2012

More Mekong


The rain had eased a little today although it was just as overcast as yesterday. We went to see a nearby floating market in the morning, named Cai Rang. Our guide told us that this name translates somewhat as 'teeth', because crocodile teeth and claws are sold as souvenirs in this area after a huge crocodile that had killed many local people was famously caught and chopped into pieces. The market was not as I had expected; I had pictured a colourful scene of a river channel locked with wooden long-boats, from where fruits and vegetables were exchanged. In reality we were on a wide part of the river and most of the boats were motor boats, some of them quite large and looked as though people were living on them, by the clothes that were hung up around the boats. These people make their livings by buying and selling goods at these markets. We were told that you can even buy sim cards and phone chargers here.

Next we travelled to an orchid and saw dragon fruit and coconuts growing on trees and pink water lilies in the ponds. At one pond, our guide threw handfuls of food pellets into the water and a dozen catfish snapped at the surface and instantly whipped back down again. I thought this would be a good method of checking for crocodiles. We sat and ate some fruit here, before moving on. Next, we took a scenic boat journey back to meet the bus, during which I had the opportunity to see some river-side life from the tin shacks that stood precariously on stilts above the water. Clothes were hung around these houses and I saw women washing or throwing dirty water into the river, chicken pecking around their feet.

The bus took us back to our hotel for lunch, and then on to another stop to visit a market. But here I was to split with the rest of the group as I was the only one travelling to Cambodia; the rest of the group were taking the two-day Mekong trip and will be returning to HCMC today. I joined a different group from the Saigon Sinh Cafe, who are not heading to Phnom Penh but are crossing over with my journey today, so I have travelled with them this evening. Tomorrow I will join another group for the final stage of my journey, as far as I can gather. This complication is simply because I was the only person who wanted to do the Mekong Delta tour to Phnom Penh on the day I chose back in Saigon. But Sinh Cafe have accommodated me well considering this, and so far I've not had any hassle when changing groups. I hope everything will run as smoothly tomorrow.

My new group is only six people, including me, two newly-wed couples, one both German and the other Vietnamese and French, and a Vietnamese woman who is also travelling alone. We had a three-hour journey to Chau Doc, on the Cambodian border. Arriving at the town we visited a ladies' temple, which was not spectacular and in fact quite ugly with excessive red, gold and glitter. People were praying to Buddha and lighting incense for their loved ones, and we saw a small roast pig being carved up. The pig was a part of the Moon Festival celebrations that have been going on for the past week or so, and culminate on Sunday with Children's Day. This festival, also known as the Mid-Autumn Festival, marks the full moon and the half-way point in the lunar calendar.

We arrived in the hotel, which is very basic and a bit shabby but clean enough. We went out for a meal at a local restaurant, which was very nice. So, mostly a day of travelling today. Tomorrow we will visit a Cham fishing village, and I hope to arrive in Phnom Penh, the Cambodian capital, in the early evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment or ask me a question