Saturday 17 November 2012

Reading days

I have been quiet again for the past few days as I have spent more time at home reading and writing, working on a second book review. I have been reading Ru, an autobiographical novel by a Vietnamese-Canadian writer who reflects on her experiences of becoming a refugee after fleeing Vietnam after the fall of Saigon. The English translation was published this year. Click here to read my review.

I have also added some more photographs to my gallery, from my recent trip to Laos, Hanoi and Sapa.

This weekend I am lucky to have two fancy social events to attend, so I should have some fun. Tonight Jessica, her friend KP and I are going to a St Andrews ball for whiskey and Scottish country dancing (although I don't really like either of those things). I have been to three dance classes already in preparation. Tomorrow we have been invited to a rather high-end Diwali party in celebration of the Hindu festival of light. I'm really, really looking forward to the buffet of Indian food and traditional sweets! On Thursday I went to Ben Thanh market to see if I could buy a sari or salwar kameez to wear to the event. Perhaps a little ambitious, but I'd heard it was possible. After showing a few women on the textile stalls my page of google images photos of such dresses and being told 'No way. This is Vietnam', I eventually found someone who would help me. I bought some turquoise and orange-gold silk fabrics and was taken to a tailors, who, in one day, did a fantastic job of creating an outfit for me. I just hope it will look appropriate on Sunday! Of course, I will upload photos from both events.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment or ask me a question