Wednesday 9 January 2013

Mellow days

For the past few days we've had a sudden downpour, and sometimes thunder, for an hour or so every afternoon. Supposedly this is very unusual as we're in the midst of the dry season at the moment. For my part, I think the rain has arrived to accompany my sullen mood now that Chris has gone back home. The weather is no trouble to me though, as I've been inside, and besides I quite like hearing the downpour against the windows.

Only this morning it was a blissfully warm day with a bright sky, a break from the usual clouds and humidity. I spent a few hours in the local cafe to use their internet, where the friendly owner chatted to me. It's really a very nice neighbourhood that I'm living in here, and I'm very grateful for it. It's different to what I'm used to, living quite close to a city centre back home, but I can appreciate the tranquillity and attractiveness of Jessica's neighbourhood. The two of us went for a walk after dinner and talked about this. I proposed that the only thing missing from the area was a couple of small bars to give it a bit of a night life, as the nearest are in the local centre, a taxi journey away. As if by my prompt we stumbled across a new restaurant and bar that has just opened and met the French-Asian owner and his glossy black Labrador. The menu offered waffles and crepes with various toppings, and they were playing ABBA Gold as we passed. I think it may be a place for me.

I really enjoy taking walks because of the chance encounters you may have or discoveries you may make, however insignificant they may be. Round here, there are always interesting houses to look at when you walk around quiet streets, as they are all newly-built and varying in style. Lots of houses have open glass fronts that allow passer-bys and peeping toms such as myself to have an intimate glimpse into the lives playing out in kitchens and dining rooms. The house across the road from us has an open front such as this. I am still trying to establish their family dynamic; the household consists of a man, who I think is French and is clearly the patriarch, and three or four Asian women of varying ages. Amongst them will probably be a wife and a maid. What is certain is that they have some heated arguments from time to time, and I can get a good glimpse of what goes on while I tie up my shoelaces on our doorstep to go running.

Besides this fascination, the best thing about walking around the neighbourhood is listening to people playing the piano from within their houses (certainly a sign that it's a well-off neighbourhood). I like to imagine the person playing inside to be lost in concentration and unaware that outside I'm claiming their music as a charming accompaniment to my afternoon stroll.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment or ask me a question