Thursday 4 April 2013

Lazy Luang Prabang

The day has taken us between two very different environments; it began in rainy and misty Hanoi with a morning walk around the beautiful Hoan Kiem lake, traffic swirling around and wet leaves sticking underfoot, and has concluded with me sat in a stylish cafe in the empty streets of Luang Prabang having a late night cup of my favourite, jasmine tea, as all other businesses begin to close up around.

It has felt funny to be travelling during the middle of the day. My mum, Crystal and I met Jessica at Hanoi airport, where she was sat by the window with her back to us. I felt glad to be with her again and realised I've missed her in the few days we've been apart.

It was a short flight on a small plane to reach Luang Prabang, Laos' chilled second town after the capital Vientiane. It took a while to go through the necessary bureaucratic procedures on arrival despite the tiny number of passengers who had arrived. When we were finally released we stepped out into 36 degree afternoon heat.

First impressions of the place have been that Luang Prabang is a very pretty, very quiet town with no shortage of beautiful guesthouses and hotels set in villas, as well as massage parlours, lanterns, fairy lights and tasteful boutique shops. The peacefulness of the town and the sudden heat sent me into sudden fatigue after several days of serious sightseeing in Hanoi. I am very ready to take it easy here.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment or ask me a question