Thursday 28 February 2013

The Sorrow of War

The Sorrow of War is probably one of the most famous works of literature to come out of Vietnam. It is a harrowing, tragic story of suffering during the American war and of one soldier's lost love and lost innocence. Please click here to read my review of this book.

We've had our own little sorrow in our neighbourhood recently. I found out this information on Tuesday evening, when I bumped into Thuy as I came back home from a run. She was walking Happy, and we passed one of her friends, a maid from another house, who was out on her bicycle. "Their dog is lost", Thuy told me. It had been lost all day and this woman had been cycling around and around looking for it. The next day I asked Thuy if the dog had been found yet, and she said no. "It will be stolen, and made into dog meat", Jessica suggested.
Surely not, I said.
"Yes!", cried Thuy, "it's true".

At this time Jessica was sat on the floor cuddling her own dog Happy, who has not been well recently. She is lethargic and disinterested all the time. Thuy told me she had taken Happy to see the vet, who diagnosed that Happy is 'too old'. My diagnosis is that the poor dog is miserable because she is fed a diet of rice and vegetables. Jessica thinks she just needs love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment or ask me a question